11 October, 2016
Top 10 General Tips
Posted in : Tricks to know on by : Pooja Kinger
- To make softer chapattis, take the flour, add warm water and some warm milk and knead the dough. Let it rest for 15 minutes before making chapattis.
- Use heavy bottomed vessel for boiling milk and for preparations using milk like kheer. Before adding the milk, a little water can be added to the vessel to avoid the milk from sticking to the bottom and getting burnt.
- Toasting nuts, rice, rava and dal (lentils) before cooking with it increases its flavors considerably.
- Adding few drops of oil to the rice before cooking it will prevent it from becoming sticky.
- Use the excess dal water from boiling dal to make rasam. Similarly, after boiling vegetables if you do not want the extra water, the liquid can be used in gravies or for making chapatti dough.
- Rub your hands in a stainless steel sink or vessel to remove the strong smell of onions or garlic.
- When boiling potatoes or eggs, add a pinch of salt to the water. This will help peel the skin easily later.
- To separate each string of noodles or any thin pasta, run it under cold water immediately after boiling and draining the water.
- Curd in winter – Set in a ceramic container and place it on the voltage stabilizer of your refrigerator. Other options are keep in a hot box, inside the oven (switched off) or keep it wrapped in a blanket. The idea is to give a warm place to speed up the fermentation.
- For making softer idlis, add some sago or cooked rice while making the batter.